Who should I contact if I would like to make a complaint?

Complaints regarding the provision of children with Special Educational Needs (SEN)

If you have concerns or wish to make a complaint regarding your child’s SEN support, a meeting should be requested with the school SENCOs in the first instance. 

If an agreeable resolution cannot be met the complaint should be escalated in the usual way, as outlined in the Compass Complaints Policy.  

Greenwich SENDIASS can provide further advice and guidance on pursuing a complaint regarding your child’s SEN provision and support. 

Please view our complaints policy on the website.

 *SEND information report to be completed in September once the registers and list have been updated.